This news has been received from: cbslocal.com

All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.

mail: [NewsMag]

PORTLAND, Maine (CBS/AP) — The East Coast herring fishing industry will be almost completely shut down for the rest of the year.

Herring fishing is a major marine industry in New England, but the industry has had to contend with cuts in fishing quota in recent years. A scientific assessment in 2020 found that herring are overfished.

READ MORE: Victim In Lowell Homicide Identified As 22-Year-Old Dejah Jenkins-Minus

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the fishing industry will be essentially shuttered until Dec. 31. The agency said that’s because it has projected that 95% of the year’s quota has been harvested as of Nov. 23.

NOAA explains on their website that herring fish are key fish bait.

READ MORE: Boston Store Owners, Vendors Cash In On Small Business Saturday

“The Atlantic herring fishery is extremely valuable to the economy in the Northeast United States. Herring are sold frozen, salted, or canned as sardines in both U.S. and international markets and provide affordable bait to fishermen targeting lobster, blue crab, and tuna,” says NOAA.

The nationwide catch of herring was more than 100 million pounds as recently as 2017, but it fell to less than 21 million last year.

MORE NEWS: Patriots Plane Flies UNH Men's Soccer Team To NCAA Tournament Game In Oregon

(© Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

News Source: cbslocal.com

Tags: boston news it happens here boston next new england fishing herring herring the year

Vitali Klitschko, Now Mayor of Kiev, Left Speechless After Germans Send Ukraine 5,000 Helmets to Fend of Russia

Next News:

Magistrate orders Oath Keepers leader jailed until trial

PLANO, Texas (AP) — The founder and leader of the far-right Oath Keepers militia group must remain behind bars until he goes on trial on sedition charges arising from last year’s assault on the U.S. Capitol, a federal magistrate ruled Wednesday.

Stewart Rhodes had been jailed sincehis Jan. 13 arrest on charges that he plotted with others to attack the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, to stop Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory.

In a 17-page opinion, U.S. Magistrate Judge Kimberly Priest Johnson concluded that no bail conditions would either assure public safety or that the 56-year-old Granbury, Texas, man would made court appearances.

Prosecutors had urged Rhodes’ continued detention, while his attorneys urged that friends or relatives have custody. Rhodes’ attorneys, James Lee Bright and Phillip Linder, did not immediately respond to requests for comment Wednesday night but have previously said they would appeal a decision to hold their client ahead of trial.

Rhodes and 10 others were the first to be charged with sedition for their roles in the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot in which five people died. A federal indictment alleges Oath Keepers for weeks discussed trying to overturn the election results and preparing for a siege by purchasing weapons and setting up battle plans.

The indictment against Rhodes alleges Oath Keepers formed two teams, or “stacks,” that entered the Capitol. The first stack split up inside the building to separately go after the House and Senate. The second stack confronted officers inside the Capitol Rotunda, the indictment said. Outside Washington, the indictment alleges, the Oath Keepers had stationed two “quick reaction forces” that had guns “in support of their plot to stop the lawful transfer of power.”

Copyright © 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, written or redistributed.

Other News

  • Coast Guard to suspend migrant search off Florida coast
  • Wendy Williams not returning to her talk show until at least March
  • Kim Kardashian and Ray J Shut Down Kanye Wests Claim That He Obtained an Unreleased Second Sex Tape
  • Four More Bodies Found In Search For Missing Boaters Off Florida Coast
  • For More Bodies Found In Search Boaters Missing For Five Days
  • Coast Guard finds 4 more migrant bodies off Florida coast
  • Coast Guard will suspend its active search for 38 migrants lost at sea between Florida and Bahamas
  • Coast Guard says 4 more bodies found during search for 38 migrants lost at sea between Florida and the Bahamas; 5 total
  • Man Utd’s Amad Diallo joins Rangers until end of the season in loan transfer after Anthony Elanga takes first-team spot
  • No Rain In Forecast; Dry January Returns San Francisco To Parched Conditions
  • ‘We’re Not Going to Leave’ Irish Fishermen Vow to Take On Russian Navy with Peaceful Protest
  • I’m a catfish master, men always think I’m hot… so I wait until they’re in love to take my fake fringe off
  • MSNBCs Stephanie Ruhle Moving to Take Over Brian Williams Time Slot: Report
  • Much More Dire: Coast Guard Ramps Up Search For 38 Missing Boaters Missing For Five Days
  • Southwest Light Rail opening delayed until 2027, price tag rises to $2.75 billion
  • Coast Guard Recovers 1 Body In Search For 38 After Boat Capsizes Off Florida Coast
  • I was on a first date & he kept going on about loving body hair… It was weird until I went to the bathroom & saw why
  • 2 juveniles arrested for fire that shut down Garden State Parkway
  • US Coast Guard Intercepts 191 Hatians Aboard Overloaded Sail Freighter